Summer 2021 officially kicks off on Sunday, June 20th in the Northern Hemisphere. So, it’s almost time to trade your sneakers and heels for flip flops and sandals. Whether you’re heading to the beach, taking a family vacation, or planning on spending lots of quality time outdoors with your loved ones this summer, we’ve got you covered with a summer essentials checklist that will ensure that this is your best summer ever!
Summer 2021: Summer Essentials Checklist
- Sunglasses: Small sunglasses are coming back in style, making them a must-have item on your summer essentials checklist. You also can’t go wrong if you wear large sunglasses as they’re coming back in style right in time for summer, as well. And while sunglasses are most definitely a go-to fashion accessory for summer 2021, the right kind of sunglasses can also protect your eyes from harmful UV rays. Talk about fashion and function.
- Sunscreen: Not only does wearing sunscreen prevent premature aging of the skin, it also protects your skin from harmful UV rays, helps to maintain an even skin tone, and lowers your skin cancer risk. By wearing sunscreen each day, you can cut your risk of contracting skin cancer, which is the most common form of cancer in the United States, in half.
- Lip Balm with SPF: Your lips also need sunscreen, too. So, make sure to wear SPF on your lips as this will help to protect them from both skin cancer and signs of aging.
- An Air Conditioning Unit (Or A Powerful Fan): One thing we can always count on is that it gets hot in the summer. To beat the heat, it’s probably a good idea to get yourself a window AC unit for your home, or a powerful fan, to help you stay cool.
- Sandals and Flip Flops: Let’s be real, the only places we’re planning on going this summer are the beach, pool, or our (or our friends’) backyards. One of the best parts about these places is that fancy footwear is not required. So, make sure that you dress the part with comfortable and versatile slide-on sandals or flip flops.
- Shorts: We all know that it’s going to be hot outside this summer. Luckily, shorts are a great way to enjoy the summer heat, while also looking stylish. You can usually dress shorts up or down, making them a perfect summer wardrobe staple.
- Bug Spray: While itchy bug bites are always annoying, bugs like mosquitoes and ticks can also spread serious diseases. That’s why it’s a good idea to use bug spray or insect repellent as the first line of defense for you and your family against any pests that you want to avoid. Then when you return back indoors, you can then wash off the bug spray just to be safe.
- A First Aid Kit: While summer is all about fun, sometimes accidents can happen. To be prepared for anything that may come your way, it’s always a good idea to have a pre-made first aid kit ready to go for all of your summer outings.
Summer 2021: Beach Packing List
While you’re definitely going to want to take your sunglasses, sunscreen, and flip flops to the beach with you this summer, there are also a bunch of other items that you’re probably going to want to bring along, as well. So, let’s take a closer look at some of the summer essentials that you’ll want to bring to the beach with you.
- Beach Bag: Whenever you take a trip to the beach, you need a roomy beach tote to hold all of your beach stuff. That’s why the first item on your beach packing list is a beach bag.
- Beach Towel: After you find that perfect spot on the beach for you and your family, you need to mark your territory. That’s where your beach towel (or beach blanket) comes into play. Then you and your family can lay out on your own individual beach towels or on an oversized beach blanket as a family. You’ll also need a towel to help you dry off after you take a dip.
- Beach Umbrella: In addition to helping with securing your spot in the sand, most beach umbrellas have SPF values high enough to protect you and your family from the rays of the sun, as well. It’ll also help keep the sand near you and your family cooler, which is another plus.
- Straw Hat: Another way that you can protect your head and face from the sun is by wearing a chic straw hat at the beach. You can also post a picture of yourself on social media wearing the floppy straw sun hat, too.
- Bathing Suit: While a classic one-piece or bikini will never go out of style, you can also take a look at this 5 Swimsuit Trends That Will Rule Summer 2021 article for some additional inspiration.
- Water Shoes: If there are lots of rocks and sharp shells at the beach that you go to, you’ll probably want to bring along water shoes to keep your feet safe and cut-free while you swim.
- Beach Toys: What’s a day at the beach without some toys? So, make sure to bring a ball to throw, hit, or kick around, or some digging and carving tools to make a sandcastle. When it comes to toys and games at the beach, the more the merrier as this will keep you and your children entertained all day long.